A diploma is issued for each degree earned at the University of Colorado Boulder. A diploma will list degree, and dependent on the college, a student's major(s). Diplomas will not list any minors earned. Undergraduate diplomas will list Latin or academic honors earned based on eligible GPA or successful participation in a honors program. Graduate students are not awarded Latin or academic honors based on GPA. Minors and eligible certificates earned will appear on the official transcript. Diplomas are mailed to all graduating students approximately eight weeks after the close of the semester in which degree requirements were completed and the student applied for graduation. Note: International students must resolve all financial obligations with CU before a diploma is issued.

CU Boulder also offers a certified electronic diploma (CeDiploma) for students who complete a university-approved certificate from Fall 2015 and onwards.

Graduating students with Federal Perkins/NDSL loans must complete a loan exit interview and clear all outstanding financial balances before leaving the university. Failure to do so results in a hold on the student's record. The hold prevents registration for future terms. Students can complete a loan exit interview by contacting Heartland ECSI at 1-888-549-3274 or via the Heartland ECSI website. Questions may be directed to University Student Loans & Debt Management in the Bursar's Office at 303-492-5571, toll free at 800-925-9844.

Display diplomas or replacement diplomas may be ordered online after graduation. For more information, visit the Office of the Registrar's Diplomas webpage.

Enrollment & Degree Certification

Through Buff Portal, students may print an official enrollment certification at no charge. Advanced registration enrollment verifications are available three weeks prior to the term start, and will remain available until the day before the first day of classes, to students enrolled in at least a half-time enrollment status for an upcoming term. Official certification of enrollment is available after the third week of classes of a semester. This certification may be for car insurance, loan deferments, medical coverage, scholarship purposes, etc. The Office of the Registrar can provide written confirmation of registration, enrollment or degree status upon request by current or former students. 

CU Boulder has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) to act as its agent for purposes of third party enrollment and degree verification. The NSC verifies degrees and enrollment for students who have not placed a privacy restriction on their academic record. The student's name when enrolled, social security number or student ID, and date of birth will be required for identification purposes for enrollment or degree verification. All third parties should contact the National Student Clearinghouse by phone or visit its web site for current enrollment and degree verification information, instructions and fees.

University policy determines the academic enrollment status and federal regulation determines the financial aid enrollment status. CU Boulder is required to report enrollment based on the financial aid enrollment status to the NSC. Please refer to the Office of the Registrar's enrollment status grid on the Check Your Enrollment Status webpage to determine your academic/financial aid enrollment status.

Students may also obtain verification of degree by ordering an official transcript or requesting an official degree certification through the Office of the Registrar.


Official Transcripts

Current and former students may order transcripts online; no IdentiKey is required. Official transcripts are available in electronic PDF or paper format. Transcripts may be ordered as either a complete academic record of courses taken at all University of Colorado campuses or as a select career (undergraduate, graduate, law or noncredit) for coursework taken after 1988.

In certain circumstances, transcripts can be withheld for ongoing financial obligations to the university or for disciplinary actions.

Official transcripts bear the signature of the registrar and the official seal of the university (not applicable to noncredit transcripts).

Unofficial Transcripts

Currently enrolled students and alumni who have access to the student portal may view and print unofficial transcripts free of charge through Buff Portal. Unofficial transcripts display the complete academic record of courses taken at the University of Colorado. However, academic institutions and potential employers generally do not accept the unofficial transcript as evidence of a student's career at CU Boulder, as this transcript does not carry the registrar's signature, the seal of the university or other security features. Unofficial transcripts are primarily used for advising and counseling in offices at University of Colorado campuses. 

Educational Record Changes

Students whose degrees have been conferred are not eligible for retroactive changes to their educational record.


Graduate Degrees

The Graduate School of the University of Colorado Boulder offers instruction leading to the following advanced degrees:

  • Master of Arts (MA)
  • Master of Business Administration (MBA) (through Leeds School of Business)
  • Master of Engineering (ME)
  • Master of the Environment (MENV)
  • Master of Fine Arts (MFA)
  • Master of Music (MMus)
  • Master of Music Education (MMEd)
  • Master of Science (MS)
    • Professional Master of Science in Aerospace Engineering Sciences (MSAES)
    • Professional Master of Science in Civil Engineering (MSCVE)
    • Professional Master of Science in Computer Science (MSCPS)
    • Professional Master of Science in Electrical Engineering (MSEE)
    • Professional Master of Science in Environmental Engineering (MSENV)
    • Professional Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering (MSME)
  • Master of Studies in Law (MSL) (through School of Law)
  • Doctor of Audiology (AudD)
  • Doctor of Musical Arts (DMA)
  • Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
  • Juris Doctorate (JD) (through School of Law)

Bachelor’s–Accelerated Master’s Degrees

Bachelor’s–accelerated master’s (BAM) degree programs are offered in several departments. These programs allow a student to receive both a bachelor's and master's degree in a shorter period of time without compromising the academic integrity of either degree.

BAM programs are open only to highly qualified CU Boulder undergraduates. Students are typically admitted during the junior year with an intent application reviewed by their program. BAM students must apply online to graduate with their bachelor's degree for the semester in which degree requirements are complete, and must also apply at that time to be formally admitted to continue with the accelerated master's program. Students wishing to continue studying toward a doctorate must formally apply for admission to the Graduate School.

Students interested in a BAM program should inquire with their program of interest for information regarding admissions and detailed program guidelines and requirements.

Please see below for currently approved BAM degree programs offered, listed by college and school. Or, explore BAM program options in the Programs A-Z section of the catalog.

College of Arts and Sciences

  • Art and Art History
  • Chinese/Asian Languages and Civilizations
  • Cinema Studies/Art and Art History
  • Classics
  • Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
  • Ethnic Studies/Education
  • French
  • German Studies/German
  • Integrative Physiology
  • Japanese/Asian Languages and Civilizations
  • Linguistics/Linguistics or Computational Linguistics, Analytics, Search and Informatics
  • Mathematics
  • Mathematics/Applied Mathematics
  • Philosophy
  • Physics
  • Religious Studies
  • Russian, East European and Eurasian Studies
  • Statistics and Data Science/Applied Mathematics
  • Theatre

Leeds School of Business

  • Accounting/Accounting or Accounting Taxation
  • Finance/Accounting or Accounting Taxation

School of Education

  • Ethnic Studies/Education

College of Engineering and Applied Science

  • Aerospace Engineering
  • Applied Mathematics
  • Architectural Engineering/Architectural Engineering or Civil Engineering
  • Biomedical Engineering
  • Chemical Engineering or Chemical and Biological Engineering/Chemical Engineering or Materials Science and Engineering
  • Civil Engineering/Architectural Engineering or Civil Engineering
  • Computer Science/Computer Science, Computational Linguistics, Analytics, Search and Informatics, Data Science or Network Engineering
  • Electrical Engineering or Electrical and Computer Engineering/Electrical Engineering 
  • Engineering Physics/Physics
  • Environmental Engineering/Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering
  • Mechanical Engineering/Mechanical Engineering or Materials Science and Engineering

College of Media, Communication and Information

  • Information Science

Post Baccalaureate-Accelerated Master’s Degrees

Post Baccaulaureate Accelerated Master's (PBAM) programs in engineering offer an integrated degree plan for post-bacc students. A list of PBAM programs is below.

College of Engineering and Applied Science

  • Applied Computer Science/Computer Science, Data Science, Network Engineering, or Computational Linguistics, Analytics, Search and Informatics

Dual Degrees

In an environment where there is a rapidly increasing desire for interdisciplinary and professional skills, receiving two master's degrees in complementary fields can be a real asset. Contact the individual departments for details.

Combinations within the Graduate School

  • Audiology/Speech, Language and Hearing Sciences (both through the Department of SLHS)
  • Engineering Management/Aerospace Engineering
  • Engineering Management/Computer Science
  • Engineering Management/Electrical Engineering
  • Engineering Management/Mechanical Engineering
  • Music (two areas)
  • Religious Studies/Asian Languages/History (any two)

Combinations with MBA

  • Anthropology/MBA
  • Art and Art History/MBA
  • Business Analytics/MBA
  • Computer Science/MBA
  • Environmental Studies/MBA
  • German Studies/MBA
  • Master of the Environment/MBA
  • Supply Chain Management/MBA
  • Theatre/MBA

Combinations with Law

  • Business Administration/Law
  • Environmental Studies/Law
  • Juris Doctor/Bachelor of Laws with the University of Alberta faculty of Law, Canada
  • Medicine/Law
  • Public Administration/Law
  • Urban and Regional Planning/Law


Graduate students may pursue formal certificates in a variety of academic or interdisciplinary subjects. Each certificate program has unique requirements. Degree-seeking students who have been verified with completed certificate requirements will have the certificate(s) posted to their academic records at the time of graduation.

Non-degree students who are approved to pursue select certificate programs must be admitted through Continuing Education. Where applicable, students may enroll in graduate certificates in Specialized Programs as either non-degree or degree-seeking students.

Graduate Course Load

For graduate students, enrollment status depends on a student's level (doctoral or master's), the type of classes they are taking and (for doctoral students) candidacy status. The status is also based on university policy and state and federal regulations. University policy determines the academic enrollment status and federal regulation determines the financial aid enrollment status. CU Boulder is required to report enrollment based on the financial aid enrollment status to the National Student Clearinghouse.

For academic purposes, full-time status is determined by university policy. For requirements for your academic load and status, visit the Graduate School Rules (Section 8: Full-time Status and Minimum Registration Requirements).

Typically in the fall and spring semesters, full time academic status is one of the following:

  • 5 credit hours of graduate coursework.
  • 8 credit hours of combined graduate/undergraduate coursework.
  • 12 credit hours of undergraduate coursework or a varying number of thesis/dissertation credit hours, depending upon the student's status.

Summer course load requirements vary. 

For financial aid full time and half time course-load requirements, graduate students should consult the financial aid load columns of the enrollment status grid and the Office of Financial Aid website. Students may also refer to Office of the Registrar's enrollment status webpage to determine your academic and financial aid enrollment status.

Graduate students may register for a maximum of 15 credit hours per semester toward a degree during the fall and spring semesters.