The undergraduate minor in civil engineering serves CU Boulder students interested in an introductory exposure to the broad discipline of civil engineering. The minor is intended to expose students to five sub-disciplines of civil engineering.
A cumulative GPA of 2.750 or higher is required to be admitted to the minor.
The minor is not open to students pursuing the Bachelor of Science in civil engineering or the Bachelor of Science in Engineering Plus with a civil engineering disciplinary emphasis.
The following prerequisite courses are required, with a grade of C- or higher in each. A student may be accepted into the minor with no more than two of these courses as deficiencies. All deficiencies must be completed before the minor is awarded.
- Calculus 1 (APPM 1350 or MATH 1300 or APPM 1345)
- Calculus 2 (APPM 1360 or MATH 2300)
- Calculus 3 (APPM 2350 or MATH 2400)
- Differential Equations and Linear Algebra (APPM 2360, or MATH 2130 and MATH 3430)
- Two semesters of calculus-based physics (PHYS 1110 or PHYS 1115, and PHYS 1120 or PHYS 1125)
- Statics (CVEN 2121, ASEN 2001, GEEN 2851 or MCEN 2023)
- Fluid Mechanics (CVEN 3313, AREN 2120, MCEN 3021, GEEN 3853)
- Mechanics of Materials (CVEN 3161, MCEN 2063)
A cumulative GPA of 2.250 is required in the courses used to satisfy the minor requirements, with no individual grade lower than C-.
The minor requires 18 credit hours, at least nine of which must be CVEN courses completed on the CU Boulder campus. The minor is composed of five required courses plus one additional proficiency or advanced course.
|Required Core Courses|
|CVEN 3246||Introduction to Construction||3|
|CVEN 3323||Hydraulic Engineering||3|
|CVEN 3414||Fundamentals of Environmental Engineering||3|
|CVEN 3525||Structural Analysis||3|
|CVEN 3708||Geotechnical Engineering 1||3|
|One additional proficiency or advanced course in one of the following sub-disciplines:||3|
|Construction Engineering and Management|
|Construction Equipment and Methods|
|Pre-construction Estimating and Scheduling|
|Water and Wastewater Treatment|
|Introduction to Applied Ecology|
|Hazardous and Industrial Waste Management|
|Introduction to Environmental Microbiology|
|Geotechnical Engineering 2|
|Reinforced Concrete Design|
|Water Resource Engineering|
|Civil Engineering Systems|
|Total Credit Hours||18|