Admission Requirements

Individuals who are not currently enrolled at CU Boulder should apply for admission following Office of Admissions guidelines. Students interested in the BA in Leadership and Community Engagement or the Elementary Education BA and licensure program should apply directly to the School of Education. Students interested in pursuing a license to teach at the secondary (middle or high school) level should apply to an appropriate major in the College of Arts and Sciences and, when prompted, select the option on the application indicating their desire to pursue secondary licensure.

Undergraduate students currently enrolled in a degree program at CU Boulder must complete an intra-university transfer (IUT) application to be considered for admission to School of Education BA or licensure programs.

Individuals who have completed a baccalaureate degree at an accredited institution and wish to pursue secondary licensure only may apply by following the “Post-BA Licensure Application” link on the School of Education website.

Personal statements are required of all applicants. Decisions are made holistically, with consideration to an applicant’s academic record as well as supplemental materials.

Scholarships and Awards

The School of Education offers over 60 scholarships each year. Application instructions and step-by-step information is accessible through CU Boulder's scholarship application.

Students are eligible to apply for university-wide financial assistance through the Office of Financial Aid. State and federal programs are available for loan cancellation or forgiveness for Colorado teachers of certain subjects or who teach in designated schools serving students from low-income families. Information about these opportunities may be found at the School of Education Financial Aid and Scholarships page.

Graduation with Distinction

School of Education BA students who have a cumulative GPA of 3.75 or above upon graduation are awarded “Graduation with Distinction” honors. This designation will appear on the student’s transcript and diploma.

Academic Standards

School of Education students are responsible for familiarizing themselves with degree and/or licensure requirements detailed in the CU Boulder Catalog, the School of Education Student Handbook, and, if applicable, the School of Education Teacher Licensure Handbook. Students pursuing teacher licensure are in a professional program guided by a code of conduct and other requirements beyond classroom performance. A student not meeting professional licensure expectations may be subject to additional requirements or performance reviews even if they maintain satisfactory grades in their coursework.

Academic Standing

Please see the Undergraduate Academic Records page for Academic Standing information.


Academic advisors are students’ primary point of contact in the School of Education, and students should maintain regular contact with their assigned advisor, including meeting at least once per semester, to ensure that they maintain progress toward graduation and licensure requirements if applicable. Licensure students with majors outside the School of Education should contact their major advisors as well as their School of Education advisors.

Students may make appointments with an advisor through Buff Portal Advising or by emailing More information is available on the School of Education's Advising webpage.